James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

F350: I have 2004 Ford F-350 6.0 I put 4 new injector and a

Customer Question

I have 2004 Ford F-350 6.0 I put 4 new injector and a fuel rail on the driver side
It take about a min or longer to bill up oil pressure to start I can see oil coming out of the top of the injector it has a new ipr stc fitting new hpop new stand pipe and new dummy plug at a idle the oil pressure is 844
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Since this work was performed has the vehicle bee not riven at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it will run but it has no oil pressure on the dash gauge
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The oil pressure gauge only needs to see 7psi to read on the dash. If you sprayed the sending unit with brake clean it could ruin the sensor. If the engine is running the vehicle will have oil pressure. If you increase the throttle off and idle and the oil pressure gauge comes up it could also mean a faulty gauge. The vehicle does need to be driven pretty hard to get the air out of the high pressure oil system though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After the truck sit for a few min I try to start it my scanner read 0 while crank it
It take a min or long for the pressure to come up when it start the oil pressure sit around 865 and then it start dropping
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
What does the pressure drop too?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While running 560
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
That is good. The icp needs 500psi to fire the injectors. At idle 550-650 is a good idle reading. Is your concern mainly the long time it takes to start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
To reduce the long start I would take the vehicle down the highway and run it. When you get back after getting the vehicle up to operating temperature. It should restart within 5 seconds or less is considered normal. If you have already done this please let me know and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ran down the hwy for about 30 mins still taking about a min to start
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a way to monitor IPR pressure? If you do what is the percent while idling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it at 26%
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I check the fuel filter it less then half full
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I don't think it's going to be the oil system that is your problem. It sounds like the fuel may be draining back into the fuel tank. Inside the fuel tank sending unit there is a check ball. This prevents the fuel from draining back. When this check ball fails fuel will drain all the way back into the tank and can create a long crank time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will change it out today and let u know
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed out the sending unit
Still has a long cranking
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a way to test actual fuel pressure. The fuel pump of course would be next in line for the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that under the door
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
It is located on the driver side frame rail under the driver door. Correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will change it out tomorrow if the ford house has it in stock
I will let u know
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good.