Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Ford Expedition EB: 2003 ford expedition, Eddie Bauer edition,

Customer Question

2003 ford expedition, Eddie Bauer edition, 5.4L A/C and Climate Controlled seats issues. I have two separate problems that I'd like to address; I usually perform all of my own vehicle repair and maintenance work, so I'm seeking DIY instruction and advice on where to find diagnostic equipment for rent, if such equipment is needed to perform the repairs. First, the easy one: my seat climate controls are not working on either seat, and I am certain this is due to the fact that I had mistakenly left my ignition on when replacing U-joints recently, and my battery was drained. the seat controls were working before this problem, but after jump-starting the vehicle, they stopped working. I've been through this before, and the last time this happened, I had to pay the dealer their 1 hour minimum labor charge ($90 at the time, a few years ago) to perform a 10 minute reprogram of the EATC to reflect "as built" CCSM info - in other words the main climate control module needs to be reminded that the vehicle is equipped with the optional climate controlled seats. So my question on this issue is, where can I rent the required tools to perform this reprogramming (I believe the tool that is needed is the Ford WDS tool, which I could purchase, but I'd rather just rent one locally - I live in the Denver, Colorado metro area. My other HVAC question relates to sporadic behavior of the air flow for my main/front HVAC system - it has recently began alternating between the main front dash vents, and the defrost vents, despite the fact that the air flow control setting remains on the dash selection. I'm fairly certain that this is some sort of blend door issue, and I've replaced blend motors on the rear auxiliary HVAC system, so if it's one of those, I'm already familiar with that mechanism - the one difference here is that I'm not hearing that clicking sound that I was hearing when the blend door acuator on the rear unit failed (broken gear teeth). So what I'm seeking here is specific DIY instruction for diagnosing and repairing the suspect blend actuator or whatever component may have failed.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris,Not a problem - the issues I'm having are not critical, so I'm not in any particular rush. The one that I'm most interested in getting help with is the main air flow issue, since there could be a variety of components that are at the root of the issue. The seat issue is really a no-brainer, because I already know exactly what needs to be done - i'm just hoping that someone like you might have a bright idea to help me avoid the thought of having to shell out $90 or more for the dealer to do what I think is probably a 5-10 minute job (honestly, I don't really know how much time it takes to reprogram the EATC via the WDS, but I suspect that it's not a full hour). Respond at your convenience - no rush - thanks, Paul
HiNo one rents the caliber of diagnostic tool you need. The WDS is outdated and replaced with the IDS, a 4500$ setup which includes a computer. None is going to rent something of this nature. Blend doors control air temperature. Mode doors control air flow direction. When you have a concern with a change occurring that defaults to defrost, that means the climate control is losing vacuum from the engine. This is often a leak. A vacuum gauge/pump is need to monitor the vacuum inlet to the climate control while driving to see if its ever dropping below 10 in hg of vacuum. It may take me 1-2-3-etc... responses to get the information I need resulting in giving you the answer you need. I can't read minds nor have a magic wand, & I'm not there to see, smell, feel, or hear so I need good information to return a good answer. My normal hours online are 3pm-3am. There are 2 services your receiving 1: from Just Answer whom has already collected the deposit/question value 2: from me (not an employee of the website & have no control over anything except what I type.) You will be asked to RATE THE SERVICE, your rating me, my response, not the website, rating has no effect on your payment, and it DOES NOT close the post. A rating IS REQUIRED, if you can't complete the required rating today, let me know why so I can get you exactly what's needed.Thanks Chris