Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Executive Edition E-150 Custom: I have a 1988 E150 executive

Customer Question

I have a 1988 E150 executive edition custom van. This is the issue. I can get in it and start the vehicle and drive it for about an hour. Once I shut the vehicle off it won't start back up. If I wait for about an hour or so it will start back up. I drove it yesterday with no problems. I stopped to get gas, the vehicle was running and it cut out and wouldnt start back up. I got a jump start and got it running and with my foot on the gas to keep it running it died and wouldn't start. I had it towed home, got in it and it started right up. Keeps doing the same thing. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark, injector pulse and proper fuel pressure, the place to start is when it will not start is to check for good cranking spark out of the coil and if the spark checks okay then you need to install a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure, normal key on cranking fuel pressure needs to be right at 32 to 45 PSI. If the fuel pressure checks okay then the next step would be to check for injector pulse. To do this, take a standard 12 volt test light and at any one of the injectors place the test end of the light on the power side of the injector (red wire) and then place the ground end on the other wire and crank the engine over, if you have pulse the light should flash. Check these things for me and post back with the results and we can work from there.