Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

99 7.3 powerstroke injectors not firing

Customer Question

99 7.3 powerstroke injectors not firing
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is Scott
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
What all has been tried or replaced?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
new idm, glow plugs, valve cover wiring harness, and fuel filter. was driving it down the road running a little rough and it died. wont start back up. checked idm and pcm relay under hood, and checked for power at idm wiring harness have power on pins 2, 24 and 26. checked fuel pump and that is working properly, hpop oil level is within a 1/2" of top. I stuck a volt meter on valve cover wiring harness goin to idm got nothing. ohm tested injectors got 3.2 to 3.3 on all of them. don't know what else to do
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Has the computer been tested for trouble codes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
before replacing idm. I had po113, p1275, 1298, p1293, p1294. I then replaced valve cover wiring harness and idm, now I just have the p0113 code
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Using a scan tool look at the ICP pid while cranking, you need to have over 500 psi cranking before the injectors will fire, let me know what you have. If it is low, could be the IPR, a high pressufre oil leak, oring failure on the fuel injectors, ect.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the scanner I got now wont do that would I be better off getting a better scanner
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, or see if you can borrow one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there a way to check the ipr with a volt meter somehow, not having much luck tracking down a better scanner
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
The PCED says there needs to be a minimum .83 volts to fire the fuel injectors. Check on the light blue with red wire while the key is off, should be around .2 volt, then while cranking should go to around 1.0 volt.