Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Most likely cause light, '97 e150 high top custom van--18

Customer Question

most likely cause for abs light, '97 e150 high top custom van--184K miles. Checked ALL fuses, no problem. Stand on brakes before cranking, light goes off and stays off. Let up on brake pedal and light comes back on.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 2 years ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist the most common cause is a wheel speed sensor. if you have a parts store pull the code, it will identify the sensor not working. the rear sensor in the differential is the most common to fail. Roy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did you mean the speed sensor is locatged inside the differential/rear end pumpkin? If not where exactly is this speed sensor?What is the 2nd and 3rd most likely cause of abs light?I went to AUTOZONE and they did not have a code reader for the abs. Is there another parts store that may have one?
Expert:  roy replied 2 years ago.
all we are doing is guessing. I gave you the most common failure but before I would do anything, you need to have the code read. Roy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for nothing. It is obvious we're guessing plus you didn't answser my follow on question. In the future, I'll deal with someone that knows how to get their message across in writing-- to quote you..."if I have a parts store"???---"the rear sensor in the differential. . ."???
Expert:  roy replied 2 years ago.
without the code, yes we are guessing. I cannot answer the follow up either until you give me the needed info to help thats correct. you need to give or anyone you speak to the code to narrow the area of failure. maybe someone else has a crystal ball for you to guess. good luck. we had a ways to go to the answer and please be patient if anyone picks this up. give them the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing