Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Mustang: I have a 1996 mustang convertible. My battery dies

Customer Question

I have a 1996 mustang convertible. My battery dies in a matter of hours. I found if I pull the 50 amp maxi fuse under the hood my battery is fine. Any help?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fuse says hd lps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions + Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
HI This fuse powers the exterior lamps and the interior fuse box. So you need to reinstall this fuse and continue the drain test removing and leaving out fuses one by one under the dash. It may take me 1-2-3-etc... responses to get the information I need resulting in giving you the answer you need. I can't read minds nor have a magic wand, & I'm not there to see, smell, feel, or hear so I need good information to return a good answer. My normal hours online are 3pm-3am. There are 2 services your receiving 1: from Just Answer whom has already collected the deposit/question value 2: from me (not an employee of the website & have no control over anything except what I type.) You will be asked to RATE THE SERVICE, your rating me, my response, not the website, rating has no effect on your payment, and it DOES NOT close the post. A rating IS REQUIRED, if you can't complete the required rating today, let me know why so I can get you exactly what's needed.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok moose what I have done is put a test light in place of my positive terminal. The light goes out when I pull the maxi fuse. When I put the maxi fuse back in I can pull every fuse out of the box under the dash and the light does not go out.
The test light method of finding a draw as well as determining the amount of that draw is not effective. A digital volt/ohm meter DVOM is needed. Can you follow the below steps. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/96drawtest.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All I have access to Is a digital multi-meter which I will pick up today.
Great, thats the tool needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what I am doing wrong but it isn't giving me the info I am trying to get.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it set right in the picture?
That is DC volts, you need to do this tests mA, turn the dial 180 degrees to amps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't had a chance to do any of the test yet. It was late when I got home last night.
No problem, the post does not time out and close for 3 days.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think my meter is not working. I hook everything up the way it says and my meter doesn't do anything. It stays at 0. Is there any other way to check the car?
You can check your meter with it connected as it should be, then open the door or try to turn on the headlights and you should see the draw jump up high.
No there is no other way to complete an accurate battery draw test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok with 50 ampaxi fuse pulled out I have no draw. When I plug the 50 amp maxi fuse in I have a 10.65 draw.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Amps
Being the spec is below 60 milliamps max or 0.06 amps, your significantly high.So you need to reinstall this 60 amp fuse and continue the drain test removing and leaving out fuses one by one under the dash.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So this 50 amp maxi fuse suppies power to the interior fuse box?
That's correct, sorry you missed that in my first response on the 1st.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be able to complete the test by pulling fuses today after work.
Okay, the post has 17 hours left before it times out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a draw on fuse 4,8 and 16.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So do I have to pay again to get to the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't feel you fully answered my question. I need more info or would like to speak to another expert.....
The post has timed out and closed, We only have 7 days to get a post rated. if that does not occur then all future replies I never see, unless you respond multiple times. I never saw you responded on 10th. If I opt out you will not get helped either, being the post is timed out, you would never make it onto our active list.
What is the draw before and after removing each of these fuses one by one. Make sure the door is closed during this test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I have to put the meter on amps not ma/ua. There is always .15 draw.
when I pull
fuse 4 goes to .12
fuse 8 goes to .08 then jumps to .23 when I plug it back in. Eventually it drops back to .15
fuse 16 goes to a .09
I need to opt out, the delay between response has gone from hours to days, and I have to keep rereading all of the post to keep it fresh on my mind each time. Hopefully another will be better suited to help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I have a job were I travel and I am not home every night.