Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Yes, my 2003 ford focus short fuel trim reading up to 20 when

Customer Question

yes, my 2003 ford focus short fuel trim reading up to 20 when I press the gas paddle.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist it is normal for the short term to change with accelerating the long term is the one to watch. it should not exceed 8%. thats at idle and running. are you having issues?? check engine light?? Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. engine code p0411. if pressing gas hard, the speed would not go up when faster than 60miles, but at lower speed dont have this issue.

Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.
ok, that is a code for secondary air injection. it is needed when the engine is cold. it injects air into the exhaust to burn unburnt fuel. it turns off after about 30 seconds to a minute.I would have your fuel pressure checked and the back pressure in the exhaust system for a possible clogged cat converter Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I should have told you,I replaced cat a month ago for very reasons, p0411, and weak engine and bad mpg
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.
how about the fuel pressure?? Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found the problem, it is exhaust leaking from manifold. the leak obviously changs the o2 sensor reading, and affect engine performance, and may also contribute to the code.