Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

F-350 7.3: if the waste gate stays shut would you get a loud

Customer Question

if the waste gate stays shut would you get a loud droan sound in the cab, it started a few months ago but wasn't very loud but now its getting louder the truck is a 2000 7.3 with only 60,000 on it other than this issue truck runs great
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.
Hi If the waste gate stayed closed you would have running issues, codes stored, and boost concerns. Yes there will be a noise associated but that would be minimal in comparison to the other issues this would cause. Can you duplicate this in park just reving the engine? Have you checked for a cooling fan clutch stuck applied or an exhaust hanger bad allowing it to rub the frame? It may take me 1-2-3-etc... responses to get the information I need resulting in giving you the answer you need. I can't read minds nor have a magic wand, & I'm not there to see, smell, feel, or hear so I need good information to return a good answer. My normal hours online are 3pm-3am. There are 2 services your receiving 1: from Just Answer whom has already collected the deposit/question value 2: from me (not an employee of the website & have no control over anything except what I type.) You will be asked to RATE THE SERVICE, your rating me, my response, not the website, rating has no effect on your payment, and it DOES NOT close the post. A rating IS REQUIRED, if you can't complete the required rating today, let me know why so I can get you exactly what's needed.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No exhaust rub issues, have not checked fan , no cant make it do it just sitting, have to be driving running up thru the gears ( 6 speed ) over 2000 rpm or driving on interstate over 2000rpm. It does it while engine is under load so to speek. If you are running down the road and lift your foot it quits put your foot down starts right back. There are no sounds like a bad bearing or anything, truck is very quite till you run it up over 2000 rpm. Have taken intake off to check turbo and no play and no rubbing. It sounds like a exhaust drown but sounds like it's coming from under the hood. Truck is completely stock no modifications.Truck runs smooth no other running issues, this seemed to start late last summer but it wasn't very loud but has since got to the point that it's annoying while on the interstate
At full throttle in neutral after 10 -20 seconds does the noise ever occur. If not then go drive the vehicle and get it to operating temp, then try again. We need to find a way to duplicate this not moving to find out whats causing it.