Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Ford explorer: Ford explorer 2005 making a noise when between

Customer Question

Ford explorer 2005 making a noise when between 60 to 80 mph or 100km/h-120km/h
when I reach 140km/h the noise goes away . I replaced the front right bearing noise
didn't go away . I replaced the front pinion seal and tighten it with in impact 1/2 gun
not sure what is it . any ideas ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.
HiCan you describe the sound of the noise?Does it come and go with braking, coasting, accelerating, swerving, temperature?If its a whine, or hum and its there when accelerating or coasting but not when doing the opposite, then I feel like its going to be the rear axle pinion bearing preload to light.It may take me 1-2-3-etc... responses to get the information I need resulting in giving you the answer you need. I can't read minds nor have a magic wand, & I'm not there to see, smell, feel, or hear so I need good information to return a good answer. My normal hours online are 3pm-3am. There are 2 services your receiving 1: from Just Answer whom has already collected the deposit/question value 2: from me (not an employee of the website & have no control over anything except what I type.) You will be asked to RATE THE SERVICE, your rating me, my response, not the website, rating has no effect on your payment, and it DOES NOT close the post. A rating IS REQUIRED, if you can't complete the required rating today, let me know why so I can get you exactly what's needed.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The noise seem to be coming from the front I don't hear anything from the back I opened the window didn't hear much , but when I inside and I go

to 100 km/h to 120 sounds like metal to me kind of like zed zed noise

its kind of z z z feels then when I go fast over 80 miles it goes away

I am trying to describe it . sounds like its coming near my legs and I believe

there is the front differential and the front driveshaft I am thinking of taking

off the front driveshaft and go for high speed . what you think ?

the best way of describe it , you know when your driving a standard and you

are driving slow and you put it from 2 nd gear to 5th gear you can feel a noise

kind of similar

I will need a better description of the noise, something I can mimic in my mind. Driving the vehicle with the front shaft out, is perfectly fine and often an effective test mode. Have you tried duplicating the concern on a rack or stands to see if you can hear and feel it under the car?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is no vibration from the wheel bearing , I replaced the left one i thought it was it . but what I find strange is on only between speed frame

then after you go on the higher speed it goes away , then when you

back to the speed frame it comes back . Can it also be transmission

not enough fluid ? I did transmission flush too

A low fluid concern in the transmission would result in a whine noise and you would notice slippage from the pump starving of fluid. Also this noise would occur almost all the time, not just in certain gears.