Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2006 ford 500 with a cvt transmission. We replace

Customer Question

I have a 2006 ford 500 with a cvt transmission. We replace the valve body everything worked great but had a code P0942 took it to ford dealer for a reflash. code still there but now it is in limp in mode 1st gear only. What the heck used a ford valve body
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Hello, did you find anything wrong with the old valve body that prompted you to replace it? Did you replace the low and high pressure cvt filters, the one in the trans pan and the one on the side of the case? Did the fluid look in bad shape?Same code keeps coming back?Any noises from the trans? Usually P09xx series codes can indicate mechanical failures of the trans.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the old valve body had codes p0871, p0701, p0961, Replace valve body and screeens , the po942 comes on right when you start the engine and will not clear,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never had that code before.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
Ok P0701 indicates there were other codes in the trans. P0871 has this description: P0871Transmission secondary fluid pressure sensorTransmission secondary fluid pressure sensor circuit CDTC will be set if secondary pulley pressure is lower or higher than expected. This indicates a defect pressure sensor or a leakage of the hydraulic system.Marginal loss of acceleration.Will turn on driver warning lamp.If this DTC sets alone, DISASSEMBLE and CLEAN the transaxle. REFER to Transaxle in this section. INSPECT the transaxle for damage and metal contamination. If this DTC sets with P0961, Go to pinpoint test A. If other DTCs are present, DIAGNOSE and FIX the other DTCs first, in the following order: P0942, P0868. So from the beginning it says to completely disassemble the trans and look for metal or debris and it can set the P0942 in association but to run through Pinpoint test A for the P0871 issue as well. All the P0942 says is mechatronic issue and to reflash since the valve body & mechatronic are an assembly. I just replaced a CVT in a freestyle for this same code but was also making a lot of noise so knew it had internal failures. I suspect an addtional problem in the CVT assembly. Here is a description of the P0942 code: P0942Hydraulic pressure unitStuck limp home mode valueFault detected in hydraulic valve body.Harsh or erratic shift engagements.No torque converter clutch apply.No REVERSE.No DRIVE.Will turn on MIL and driver warning lamp.NOTE: The TCM is integrated into the mechatronic assembly. If installing a new transaxle or a mechatronic assembly, the TCM will need to be CHECKED and RECALIBRATED (reflashed) to the latest level calibration available. INSPECT the transmission fluid for debris. If the transmission fluid is clean, INSTALL a new mechatronic assembly. REFER to Mechatronic Assembly in this section. If debris is found in the transmission fluid, disassembly of the transaxle is required for diagnosis of internal transaxle failure. REFER to Transaxle and Diagnosis By Symptom in this section.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I knew this was going to be a cluster, when I go to the p0871 it say to go to pinpoint test A. and when I replaced the valve body none of thoes codes came back just the P0942. the P0942 comes back right when the car is started.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
But you found no debris? Either you have a faulty new mechatronic or you have a deeper problem in the trans