James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Have a 99 f250 7.3L ran rough died wont start replaced fuel

Customer Question

have a 99 f250 7.3L ran rough died wont start replaced fuel filter, cps, Idm, glow plugs, glow plug, and valve cover wiring harness. injectors not firing need help
Category: Ford
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** any codes in the processor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there was one saying idm failure. and a p0113
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since relacing idm no codes.
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Is the IDM code still there? Was the IDM replaced with a new or used unit?
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.
Ok, no codes. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
replaced with a new idm
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.
Can your scan tool run the injector electrical test and the KOEO/KOER or is it just a code reader?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just a code reader has the koeo option that's where I found the codes. I did stick a volt meter on the wires going to the injectors got nothing on all 8. and ohm tested injectors all 3.2 3.3 range.
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Do you have the owners manual which shows the relay locations in the fuse box under the hood?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I do
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.
When you turn the key to the run position, do the injectors buzz at all? Also at the same time can you hear the IDM relay click on? Also, when you check for codes, the processor is communicating, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
processor is communicating. I can hear a few relays clicking haven't check idm relay. do not hear injectors buzz
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
idm relay and pcm relay both are clicking when I turn the key
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.
Try swapping the IDM relay with another relay, like the one for the horn or the blower motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
swapped the relays and still injectors not firing
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Give me a few minutes to come up with a test procedure for you.
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.
Ok, first off can you please check the high pressure oil reservoir at the top of the timing cover in front of the fuel filter? There is a small plug that accept an allen wrench, or you can remove the sensor there. The oil level should be within 1/4" of the top. Also inspect the ICP sensor located at the top front of the driver's side cylinder head. Make sure the sensor is not leaking oil through its electrical connector. Do you have either a test light or a volt/ohm meter for some electrical checks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oil level within about a 1/2" of top. icp sensor looks fine not leaking oil. and yes I have a volt ohm meter
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sorry for the delay. First off, please check fuses 24, 27, and 30 in the fuse panel under the hood. Make sure they have power at both sides. Next, turn the key to the run position and check the harness at the IDM. You should see power at pins 14 and 2 and ground at pin 26
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok checked fuses 24 and 27 have power and fuse is good there is not a number 30 fuse on my truck I have 1 thru 29. checked pins 2, 14, and 26 on idm harness have power
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just checking to make sure you didn't forget about me. never used this site before do I do the rating after the problem is solved?
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the late response. I'm going to be away this weekend. We can continue on Monday, or if you would like assistance sooner I can open this question for other experts to review. You should rate the answer once we have the problem solved and your question is answered
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you just continue on Monday
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I have read over your conversation with the previous expert. Hopefully I don't go over anything you have already covered. The first thing you want to check is the oil level. Low oil level can create a no start condition
If the oil level is full you can try unplugging the icp sensor and see if the vehicle starts.
If the vehicle still doesn't start do you have a way to monitor icp pressure. The vehicle needs 500psi of icp pressure to be able to start the vehicle. If the pcM is commumicating and you have no codes. The center wire on the valve cover Barnes should be the power wire. I'll have to double check. If you are using a test light you shouldn't see any power to the injectors. A 12v test light won't show 99v the injectors use to fire. If you can check these things and let me know we can continue.