James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2006 Ford Explorer 4X4. The tire monitor light is

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Ford Explorer 4X4. The tire monitor light is flashing i have code B 2872 and B2290. Help
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, do you have an air bag light on as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No air bag light. The tire monitor is flashing and tire sensor fault above the odometer.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The B2290 comes back as a code for the smart junction box. A problem with the occupant classification sensor.
The tire pressure problem is one or more of the sensors is bad. Is you have a test tool you need to go around to each of the sensors and see if any of them won't respond. If any tire refuses to respond it will need to be replaced. After a sensor is replaced you need to retrain all 4 sensors so the vehicle will recognize them and the tire light will go out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of Test Tool and how do y ou Retrain?o
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I can copy over the procedure for you. I'm on a new template tonight so I'm trying to learn how to use it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please send pro. when you can
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Train in the sensors in this order LF,RF,RR,LR I can't get the page over yet but here is the procedure. You will need a tire activation tool though. turn the key from off to on three times ending in the run positionpress and release brake pedalturn the key on and to run three times ending in the run position. The horn should beep once indicating in training mode. You use the activation tool and go 180 degrees from the valve stem. The horn should beep indicating its been trained. Do this with all 4 tires. If one tire doesnt beep the sensor is likely bad.