A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Focus: I have a 05 ford focus and there is a slow drain that

Customer Question

I have a 05 ford focus and there is a slow drain that kills my battery over a 24 hour period. I have had the battery, starter and alternator checked and the technician said he would have to further check the electrical to find the drain. Where and how can I find and fix it myself?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

You will need a digital multi meter that reads DC AMPS and then disconnect the positive cable from the battery and connect the meter in line and close the doors and leave the key off and out of the ignition. Specs for current amp draw is 0.001 amps. Then you will have to remove one fuse at a time and check the meter reading and then reinstall the fuse and go to the next fuse till the meter reads 0.001 or really close.

It does take a while to locate and isolate the cause of the current draw.