Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Ford Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years of Ford Technician experience. I have built many custom Fords, I also collect them.
9795573

F150: got a 1984 ford f150 5.8 liter, the motor turns over

Customer Question

got a 1984 ford f150 5.8 liter, the motor turns over great, light work, radio works all electrical seems to work fine, but no spark to the spark plugs, any test i can do?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Ask me about added features such as discussing this issue on phone anytime. Complex issues can be easier to work out if we can talk on the phone many times.
I would pop the cap and make sure the distributor is turning. Then check the positive side of the coil for power with the ignition on. Clean the connections on the coil too. The coil connector is notorious for loosing connection on Fords in this year model range, and killing the ignition. Can you check these things and get back with me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Check these things out, beyond those issues the most common failure is the ignition control box/module. If you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to go to the hospital with my heart, I will be able to try the test this weekend, and get back with you
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Good luck with your medical problems, take your time. I will be here to help.