A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Ford: Hey. I have a 1999 Ford Ranger I bought and installed

Customer Question

Hey. I have a 1999 Ford Ranger I bought and installed a steering colum for the same make and model_year.
It came with pre installed ignition switch and key.
I don't have the original ignition from the stock switch but I have the original key.
What do I need to do to get the new steering column with its ignition switch and it's key came with. working fine with the truck to crank it? and activate fuel pump and starter.
And how much will it cost me?.
Thanks.
Daniel.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
The best and most inexpensive way to get it to work is to have a locksmith rekey the ignition lock cylinder to match your original key. Then all you have to do is start the truck. But if you want to use the new key that came with the steering column, you will need to get a second key cut and then have them both programed to the vehicle. This in all will cost you about $200 to $250. To have a locksmith rekey the new ignition lock cylinder is about $75.