James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Have a relay box next to that 6 fuse, but doesn't look like

Customer Question

Have a relay box next to that 6 fuse, but doesn't look like this pix. Wondering what its for
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No communication via OBD to computer. Checking all fuses, found an unknown relay box under hood, next to trailer turn fuses. Would this be part of my problem?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Can you please tell me the make, model and year of the vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
98 F150
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 1998 Ford F150
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
When you turn the key to the on position do you get a very fast flashing theft light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, this is my first time & can't figure out your responses yet. No, do NOT have any quick flashing lights, but not sure of anti-thief light in particular
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
That is ok. I did send you a phone offer as it can make it easier to help diagnose. If you have an owners manual there is an eec power relay under the hood in the main fuse panel. If you swap this with the blower motor relay does the vehicle start and run?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Been swapping out relays all morn, but not sure on eec. Will try that again to be sure.. Switched them out, and yes it starts & runs
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
If that is the case the eEc power relay is bad and needs to be replaced. This should fix your concern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All is working when I swap. How is that a bad relay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no communication with computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I am still here I had to drive. Maybe I read you statement wrong. I read it as you swapped the power relay and the vehicle starts and runs now. Is that not the case?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think we're confused about the problem. All runs, I just cannot communicate with the computer via OBDII plug. All fuses are good, there is power on pin 16, pin 4 is well grounded to chassis. Still no communications.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Ok I did misunderstand you I am sorry. There are two fuses. One is fuse 22 which is a 50a fuse under the hood. Inside the vehicle the fuse is going to be either fuse 11 or 12. It will be a 5 amp fuse. Make sure it has power on both sides. This powers the OBD 2 port.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, Went through ALL fuses (both sides) including the ones you are suggesting. I have also ohmed out the OBDII connector also, and have a good ground on pin 4, along with 12 volts on pin 16. The only bad fuse I found was in the trailer/tow package. I have been switching out relays to see if I possibly got a goofy one=no. So I'm about at the end of my thread & tried this site.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
You went through the fuses by testing for power. If fuse 11 or 12 has power on both sides. If that is the case then the wire is either broken between the fuse panel and the OBD pin 16. The other thing that can be wrong is the fuse panel is bad and not allowing power to get to the wire. Those are the only two things that will prevent you from getting power to pin 16.
Most likely the fuse panel has corrosion and is causing your issue. The nice thing is the wire isn't very long. The wire color is going to be light green with a red stripe. Once you identify if the wire is broken or not you will have your answer if the fuse panel is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I DO have 12 volts on pin 16. So that is NOT the problem. I have even felt behind the cigar lighter for a loose wire, and nothing. I think it just may be a scanner compatibility thing, and will go to an auto store to try their scanner to see if it works with theirs. Other than that, I don't think I can try anything else. I do thank you for your effort, but I don't thing we're getting anywhere here.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I think I am reading your rresponse to fast. I thought the scan tool would not power up. If the scan tool powers up and won't communicate you have a network issue. To identify what is bringing the network down it can be anything. I did send a phone offer as I knownit makes this much easier. You have the pcM, IC, GEM module, ABS module and air bag module. Are any of these warning lights on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No warning lights, nothing out of the ordinary events occurring. I just wanted to check out my computer, and this is the ONLY vehicle that will not communicate (out of 10 tried). I've seen where fuses, loose connections, and bad relays can be the problem, and then some. All of which have been diagnosed as good. I think the only recourse I have is to try another OBDII reader. I can try that at an Auto Store. I thank you for your time, but I am going to close this out now. Until I can get another unit attached with the same results, there's no sense in going further.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm very sorry I wasn't able to help more. I will say I have a couple hand held scanners that will communicate with 9 out of 10 vehicles but not number 10. If I hook up a more expensive scan tool they work fine. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I just figured it was an inexpensive tool and I was expecting to much out of it?