Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0

car wont run when started in morning

I have a 97 ford crown victoria, v 8 fuel injected, 5.4 ltr. when I try to start it when its cold, it starts but chokes it self out. the second and third attempt it will run for 30 seconds or so but the engine is missing, and not running at a higher rev like it should when its below zero. It takes about 4 or 5 tries before it will run on its own without stalling. I have put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in with a full tank of gas a week ago and the problem is still there.  once the car is warm it purrs like a kitten.  you can go shopping and start it in a couple of hours and it runs fine.  Its just when it has sat for 8 hours or so this problem arrises.

Thanks for the great question.

Sounds like a bad IAC (idle air control). This controls air flow during starting and idle. Try this:

Place foot all the way into the gas pedal to see if it will start. And if it still idles low, push your foot a little into the gas to keep the idle up. If this works replace the IAC, and then unplug the the battery for 15 minutes to reset the computer. Base part number is XXXXX