EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

Ford E-450: I have a problem starting my 2002 Ford E-450, V-10,

I have a problem starting my 2002 Ford E-450, V-10, class C motor home. It will start on starting fluid, runs great, will restart, but not when parked overnight. I have searched for the Fuel cutoff switch and cannot seem to locate it

Eric :

Hi. The fuel cut-off switch should be located by the right front passengers feet, behind the trim panel. Also since the vehicle will start on starting fluid, and then restart, but not when sitting over night, you may have a weak fuel pump. What you need to do is to install a fuel pressure gauge onto the fuel rail of the engine. This will tell us exactly what is happening when you are turning the key to ON, and trying to start the vehicle. Is this something that you can do? Thanks, Eric

Customer:

I can, and I just purchased a gage, but have not used it as yet. I assume the valve in on or near the fuel rail?

Eric :

Yes. It is on the rail. There may be a cap on the valve. Just remove it and screw on your gauge.

Customer:

OK! it will be tomorrow before I can do this.

Eric :

Ok. Just bookmark this page and come back and we will continue.

Customer:

Is this fuel pump in the tank?

Eric :

Yes it is. When was the fuel filter replaced last?

Customer:

About 1,000 mile ago!

Eric :

Ok. Thats good.

Customer:

Thanks for now!

Eric :

Your welcome.I'll talk with you tomorrow...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Eric,

I just ran a quick experiment, I lrft the ignition switch on for about 10 minutes, then it started right up! What does that indicate, weak fuel pump?

Sounds like a weak fuel pump could be the problem. There is also a check valve in the pump which should hold fuel pressure for a long time. When you get your gauge hooked up check how fast the fuel pressure bleeds off. It should hold for days.