Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Ford f-150: I have a small leak on my exhaust manifold. Makes

I have a small leak on my exhaust manifold. Makes the truck sound alittle like a tractor when I step on it. I've been told not to touch it because the manifold bolts will break and to fix that would mean removing the head and drilling them out ($2500.)
This is a 1999 ford f-150 with a 4.6l v8 efi vin W engine. Even Ford has a notice out not to mess with the bolts because they'll break.
Can you think of any way or anything that could be used,poured, stuffed, patched, into the leak to quit it down? This truck isn't worth $2500.
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

Unfortunately due to the amount of heat that is generated at the exhaust manifolds there is nothing you can use to patch the leak with , the only correct way to repair it is to remove the manifold and replace the gasket. Unfortunately you are correct, anytime you do this type of repair you do run the risk of some of the bolts breaking off. If this is the case the heads do not usually have to be removed as you can usually get the bolts through the fender well with a 90 degree drill. The trick is finding a shop that is willing to try it for you. It s tough call either way.