Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

e350 15 pass. van: I have a 2006 Ford e350 van was ran low

I have a 2006 Ford e350 van was ran low on fuel. After filling it up it would act like it was going to stall but keep running next day I ran it for a couple of hours and then when I came out to start it after sitting awhile it wouldn't start acted like it wasn't getting fuel finally got it to start a nd run. Next day wife ran it about 1hour it died on the road wouldn't restart. Fuel pump is working so I changed fuel filter it started and ran until I pushed the accelerator and the died wouldn't restart. Pulled the air filter hit it with starting fluid idled until I pushed the throttle.
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

The problem you are describing sounds like the fuel pump was damaged when you ran it low on fuel which can cause them to overheat and fail. The place to start is to install a scan tool that can read the data stream and monitor the fuel pressure. Normal fuel pressure needs to be right at 35 to 45 PSI, anything less means the pump has failed.

If you have more questions and or need more help, please let me know and we can go from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Ron I can hear the pump running to charge the system when I turn the ignition to on does that mean anything or could it still be the pump

Scott, the pump will often still run but not produce the proper amount of pressure, when ran low of fuel they tend to overheat and when this happed it damages them and cause them to foam. The place to start it to check the pressure, I suspect you will find it under 30 PSI and it will not pull a load with pressure that low. The fuel pressure test will tell you for sure.