Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

what oil do I use in the front and rear differential on my

what oil do I use in the front and rear differential on my 2004 f250 4x4?

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX front uses SAE 90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant C2AZ-19580-F.

The rear if it is a Dana takes 75w90, if it is a Ford 10.5 it takes 75w140 synthetic.

You should be able to see the tag, the Ford tag will have 10.5 on it. It may even say what fluid it takes on the tag.

Any more questions just ask, thanks Scott

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its a diesel, if that helps. Ford has tried to fix the leak that both have had for a couple years but failed. I don't want to take it to the dealer, any ideas on what to use to keep it from leaking? the 1st time they used red silicone, (or whatever it is,), and the last time it came back with gray. It immediately leaked with the gray

Workshop manual says TA32 clear silicone rubber, I like to use gray diesel engine 7.3 silicone, I have never had one leak with this silicone, make sure the covers are not bent, sometimes when removing cover a gasket scraper or screwdriver is used to help remove the cover and it becomes distorted and will then leak at that spot, take a hammer and flat surface and tap the high spot back flat and you should be all set.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

perfect, thank you nicely!

Thank you!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

I've just gotten around to changing the differential (or axle oil as it's listed in the owners guide). The guide calls for 5.8 pints of 80W-90 rear axle oil for the front and 8.5 pints of 75w-140 synthetic for the rear. Is this correct? Does the oil travel through the axles because the differentials don't look like they could hold that much oil. I just want to make sure so I don't blow any seals with too much oil. (sorry, I'm a girl and I am learning as I go.)

Hello again, do you know which rear end you have? Can I have your VIN and will try to find the capacity.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The tag has 10.5 on it . The vin# XXXXX

Ok great, you have the Ford 10.5 rear end, this unit holds 7.0 pints, just a little over 3 qts, you fill until it runs out of the filler hole, you really can't overfill these. If it is a limited slip, add friction modifier first, the way to tell is on the tag, if the ratio is says 3 73 this is a non locking and doesn't require the friction modifier, and if the tag says 3 L 73, this is a limited locking rear differential and will need the friction modifier.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WHAT ABOUT THE FRONT? BOTH HAVE BEEN LEAKING. ITS KINDA SCARY SEEING ONLY ABOUT 2 CUPS OF OIL DRAIN OUT THE REAR. AND IT SMELLS BURNT BUT IT IS CLEAR,

The front holds 5.9 pints. If the fluid is clear with no metal in the fluid you should be ok. Just repair the leak and refill. I have seen rear ends come in with virtually no fluid, we fixed the leaks and they were ok, I know what you mean by scary.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

again, THANK YOU for the help!

No problem, if you ever need help again ask for Scott W, thank you so much!