John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  22 years of Ford service, and Ford senior master certified in diesel, gasoline and hybrid vehicles
33610027

FORD SVT COBRA: WAS THE 1997 SVT CBRA MUSTANG OFFERED WITH

WAS THE 1997 SVT CBRA MUSTANG OFFERED WITH AN AUTO TRANS
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Crouch replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question.

The answer to your question would be no. The Mustang SVT cobra has never had the option of a automatic transmission as of the 1994 model year. The only performance version of the mustang that can be optioned with a automatic transmission is the GT mustang.

If you need more information or have more questions, just respond and I will get back to you just as soon as I can. Once again, thank you for using Just Answer and have a great day.

John Crouch, Ford Mechanic
Experience: 22 years of Ford service, and Ford senior master certified in diesel, gasoline and hybrid vehicles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay, then I guess what I need to know is can a 1997 svt cobra be fitted

with a auto trans??

The only trans that will mate with the 4.6 cobra block would be a 4R70W ( pretty much the same as the AODE but the ratios are not the same. The PCM in the Cobra will not work with the auto trans and will not control it and the trans will not work stand alone. I have seen guys put in a C-4 or C-6 in one of the 1994-95 cobras that came with a 5.0 V-8 and it works ok. If you really want one with a auto trans instead of the 5 speed, I think picking up one with the 5.0 in it may give you better chances of making it work without a lot of issues.
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic