Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Cox: My 2007 Eddie Bauer expedition has a shudder when going

My 2007 Eddie Bauer expedition has a shudder when going up hill between 35 and 50 mph. Feels like I am driving over a rumble strip. Only seems to occur right around the overdrive shift range. Is this a misfire or torque converter. No check engine light warnings.
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

How many miles do you have on the engine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
163 K
The type of problem you are describing is in most cases caused by a engine misfire and this type of miss will usually show up as the engine RPM drops when shifting into overdrive due to load change. In most cases because the misfire is not consider a dead miss the PCM (computer) will not usually set a misfire code. With the amount of miles you have on the engine , I would consider replacing spark plugs as well as the spark plug boots. When doing so be sure to add a small dab of dielectric grease to each boot to insure proper sealing and to avoid any spark leakage. I would also consider having the fuel injector professionally clean due to the amount of miles you have .

If you have more questions and or need more help, please let me know and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just had the plugs changed in June at 160K. Could it be a coil? I have an appointment at the transmission shop in am. Do you believe it is engine related vs. transmission? When I experience this problem I can click off the OD and it seems to go.away. Or if I accelerate it seems to go away.
It could very likely be a coil as long as the new spark plugs are okay, the computer will show engine misfire data even if there are no codes as long as its checked using a advance scan tool. This dose sound like an engine misfire but it is possible it could be torque converter shudder. I would have the scan done and see if there is a misfire history and this will tell you which cylinder it is if it is a bad coil
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What should that cost and is it best to be done by the dealer?
Most dealer will run a scan and diag for right at 1 Hour in labor.