A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

headlights inop on 2004 E350 Fuse Is Good It has no hi beam

headlights inop on 2004 E350 Fuse Is Good It has no hi beam or low beam but the flash to pass works.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

There are several fuses for the headlight circuit. Check these fuses below first and let me know if they are all good.

Engine Bay Fuse box fuse #15

Dash fuse box fuses #10, #30, #31 and #25.

Also let me know if you have a test light or digital multimeter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All of the fuses are good and now even the parking lights are inop before they would work even with out the headlight working .

Do you have a test light or digital multimeter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

test light

Ok. You will have to remove the headlight switch and check for power on the DARK BLUE/ORANGE striped wire and the RED/YELLOW striped wire with the headlights turned on.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dark Blue/orange has power . Red/yellow has no power

If you have no power on the RED/YELLOW striped wire with the headlights turned on, the problem is the headlight switch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it a brand new switch but i guess it is a bad one right out of the box

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Now I have lost flash to pass and the headlight reminder chime has quit working also

The DARK BLUE/ORANGE striped wire is power into the switch from the fuse and with the headlights on you should have power on the RED/YELLOW striped wire for the headlights and the BROWN wire for the parking lights. If you have power on the BLUE wire but not the RED or BROWN., then the headlight switch is bad and will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok I will go to the auto parts and get another headlight switch , I hope the second new switch is good

Make sure they get you one for a 2004 E350. Not just a generic switch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well im on my 3rd headlight switch and nothing works if i jump the wires together everything works but nothing works with the switches

Is the connector for the headlight switch melted in anyway? Are any of the wires loose, basically do they pull out of the headlight switch connector?

Do you have the knob and shaft fully installed into the new headlight switch?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Knob and shaft are installed no melted spots on the plug and all wires are snapped into the plug if i jump the red/yellow to the brown and the dark blue/orange the right headlight and the dash and parking lights work and the high beams work but nothing works with the headlight switch installed and this is my 3rd switch 2 from borg warner and this 1 is a duralast from Autozone

Do you have power on the TAN/WHITE striped wire with the headlights on?

Also, if you have a digital multimeter that can measure OHMS (resistance), take the new switch and disconnect it. Then on a bench, pull the headlight switch knob to the headlight position and measure the OHMS for the DARK BLUE/ORANGE wire and the RED/YELLOW striped wires and see if the meter reads 0.0 OHMS. Then push the knob in to the off position and measure again. See if the meter read OPEN CIRCUIT. This will test the headlight switch out of the vehicle and see if it is connecting the two pins in the headlight position.