A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

ford fx4: can bank2 vvt solenoid cause code in bank 1

can bank2 vvt solenoid cause code in bank 1

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

Bank 1 VCT cannot cause Bank 2 codes. Also, make sure you are working on bank 1. Bank 1 is on the passenger side and bank 2 is on the drivers side. Both codes are for over retarded. These engines are heavily dependent on oil pressure. Make sure there is no sludge in the valve train under the valve covers and also make sure the cam caps, these are the caps that hold the camshafts to the cylinder heads, are not scored from lack of oil pressure.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

changed passenger side solenoid.... code only reads 0012 now... I have one for driver side should I install? had oil changed last week and changed both cam position sensors...bank 2 sensor was covered in sludge.

Are you replacing the cam sensors on the front of the timing cover or the VCT solenoids that are sticking through the valve cover near the front?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

changed cam sensors on front of cover and passenger side vct solenoid have one for driver side ..do you think it will help?

Yes, but the sludge does not help the system at all. The really bad part is it cannot be cleaned completely out of the engine. Their are a lot of small oil passages that get clogged up with the sludge.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

should I replace cam phasers and do a timing kit can clean engine when its open

When you have the valve cover off to replace the VCT, remove a couple of the camshaft hold down caps and check for scoring on the cam cap and the camshaft. If you can feel the scoring with your finger nail, the cylinder heads will have to be replaced.

But inspect the timing chain tensioners and the cam phasers. Only replace the chains and the guides if they are broken or damaged. But the timing chain tensioners are known for the gaskets on the back failing causing loss of oil pressure to the cylinder heads.