Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

1996 ford f-150 rear brakes lock up hard, to gst them to release

1996 ford f-150 rear brakes lock up hard, to gst them to release you must back up what do you think?
Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Let me ask, Have you pulled the rear wheels and brake drums off yet? and taken a look?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes we put new shoes on both sides, only after the problem started. at first it was just one side, we bled the lines and now both sides lock up

Alright I understand. Do you get an ABS light, or does the peddle pulse like the ABS motor is locking up,

Also, these Emergency brake cables can be bad to rust and fray up in the cable sheathing. Do you notice the brakes lock up after using the E-brake?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no lightis on ,and we don't use the e-brake

Alright, Make sure your Ebrake cables are tight Mike, If they aren't in the eyelets, or they are bouncing around, Then the cables bouncing around can actually self adjust the adjusters out. If the cables are tight where they should be then try these two things,

1, Drive the truck till the brakes lock up in the rear, Then remove the vacuum line from the brake booster and see if that makes the brakes free up. (Release vacuum from the booster) If it does, I suspect the booster has failed.

2. If releasing the vacuum from the booster has no effect, Then pop the line loose at the master cylinder that goes to the rear brakes, If you get a pop of fluid pressure, and the rear brakes free up then, replace the master cylinder.