Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Ranger 2.9: I have an 86 Ford Ranger/2.9 Dual tanks. The other

I have an 86 Ford Ranger/2.9 Dual tanks. The other day with full tanks both gauges went to E and the truck stopped. I have spark but no feul.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX the gauge move at all when you switch tanks?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No and when jumping power ( fused jumper ) gauges don't move

ok, this is usually caused by a bad switch over valve, this valve controls the fuel pumps and the gauge for each tank, do you have a volt meter or test light, we need to check for power on the red wire at the switchover valve, with the key on, can you do this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes . No power into switching valve

ok, then we need to check the inertia switch, have you checked for power into the inertia switch, and out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no power into inerta switch

did you check this while cranking the engine, or with the key just in the on position?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

on , but will check while cranking now

let me know,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no power to switch crranking also

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No power while cranking either

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No power while cranking either

ok, this gets its power from the fuel pump relay, can you pull the relay and see if 2 terminals on the relay have power when cranking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This will take a minute or 2 Be right back. The feul pump relay is the brown one , right?

it is on the right hand fender, i will post a picture showing it below,Tim

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Both red (16 gauge wires) have power cranking and ign. on

you need to check the actual terminals in the socket that the relay plugs into, it should have 2 that are hot while cranking, one has a red wire and one has a yellow wire,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have two that are hot while key on and cranking, one yellow,one red, another red is not hot without relay in place

ok, when the relay is in place, do you feel it clicking when the key is turned to on? it should click once?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

finally got someone to help. yes the relay clicks

ok, with the relay in, do you get power on the orange/light blue wire at the relay, while cranking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes

but you dont have power on the orange/light blue wire at the inertia switch?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No

then you have a break in that wire, it goes from the relay directly to the inertia switch, now you were checking the power at the inertia switch when cranking, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes While cranking

then there is a break in the orange/light blue wire, you will have to either trace it out, or run a new wire from the relay to the inertia switch,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tim: John with the 86 ranger again. Because of the past butchery on this truck I had the wrong relay. It's the green one! Repeating the tests I have no power to either the red or the yellow wire on cranking. Any Ideas?

Model: Ranger
Year: 1986
What have you tired so far?: Tests with Tim's help led me to the relay wiring. Past mec.'s have changed harnesses on the relays.

ok, the fuel pump relay gets its power from the ecc relay on one wire and from the battery on the other, the eec relay gets its power from the battery, I suspect the wire from the battery to the rlays is bad them, since the ecc relay is not sending power on one of the fuel pump relay legs, do you know where the ecc relay is? It is in the kick panel uner the passenger side dash, on the right side, if you can access this relay, we can check power to this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. yes I have gotten this info from another source. the people who understand that if I ask about the color of a relay on a 26 year old truck the relays have been removed or moved over time. Please tell customer service to just process the refund I hàve asked for.