Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

2004 ford explorer sport trac gauge ,tail lights ,radio dash

2004 ford explorer sport trac gauge ,tail lights ,radio dash lights do not work.start in park.can not take out of park
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question today!
Do the brake lights work on it or not?
Also, how did you check the fuses?
Let me know,
Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Also, how did you check the fuses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed each one and looked at them

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok Lynn, do you have a test light so we can make sure the fuses are actually getting power?
Also, are all the brake lights working or just the center brake light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

all brake lights are working I do have a test light but there.s no power to some of the fuses

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, What I need to have you do is check the main maxi fuses or fusible links.
In the fuse box under the hood, please test fuse #1 which is a 50 amp fuse for power. This should have power on it at all times. Key on or off.
Please check it and let me know. It seems to provide the power for a lot of the fuses on the items that aren't working.
This may also be a square fuse with a clear top. If it's that style, you can look through the top to see if it is blown.
Let me know.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

give me about 30 min.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all, you let me know when you can and we will take it from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that fuse was bad . I replaced it with a new fuse and it blew

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
This indicates the wire from the fuse box under the hood to the box inside the truck is shorted to ground someplace.
You are going to have to look at the harness where it comes out of the fuse box and see if you can find a broken wire or one that is touching the metal of the truck.
This wire is tan with a black stripe.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will check the wires . what size is this wire.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
I really can't say what size the wire is as I am looking at the wiring diagram. I suspect it won't be one of the tiny ones, but it's not going to be battery cable think either. More like 16-18 gauge I suspect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

removed fuse box under hood disconnect plugs going thought the fire replaced fuse. did not blow.so I took fuse box out inside the car,checked wires behind box.did not see a problem checked wires under dash did not see a problem . spout everything back together now everything works.did not blow fuse.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
lol, Ok.
I would say that there is a short that may re appear on you, but probably disconnecting the main fuse box and moving the wires took it off whatever it was touching at the moment.
Finding this type of short is impossible for me to do from here, but you have a good starting point.
Glad it's working for you again.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience: 25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.