Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Ford Bronco: Hello I am having problems with my newly bought

Hello I am having problems with my newly bought 1979 bronco which is in great condition just the powergate was very week at first and now won't budge from 3 inches from fully open, I'm guessing the motor needs replaced given the age and I've already disconnected it, my question is: if I swap the motor out with a new one could that possibly be all that needs done to fix and is that a complicated ordeal
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Swapping the motor will likely do it if its weak but I would start with making sure the window track is clear of all dirt and debris. I would also take some silicon spray and lube the track up real well and some lithium grease and lube the regulator up as well. If the window track is clear and lubed real well and the regulator moves freely the window should go up. Do the cleaning and lubing first before you replace the window and see if that allows the window to move freely.
Dan, why are you rating me with bad service for trying to help you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hope the right feedback went through
Yes it did, Thank you as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Now that I'm stopped I wanted to add and explain that cleaning the window track will probably Help greatly but it was when I first lowered the window
That I noticed how slow it was going is there any way for me
to release whatever lock or brake that is locking in the open
position so I can close it in the meantime
There is and over ring switch mounted on the passenger side channel if I remember right, you can unplug it and jump the two wire together and the window should move with the switch, just make sure the tail gate is closed before you do it.
Dan, another option would be to remove the motor and push the glass up by hand, they may be the easier thing to do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've already unplugged it if I remove it completely the glass will crank freely?
Yes, if you remove the motor the glass will move freely.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks again that will help greatly
Your very welcome and thank you as well.