Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.

Ranger: I have a 1994 FORD Ranger 3.0. Overheated and I found

I have a 1994 FORD Ranger 3.0. Overheated and I found water in the crankcase. Sent the heads off to be check. They were ok and had a valve job done, cause I was there. Replaced lower intake gaskets as part of the reassembly. Started the engine to finish adding coolant. Never could get it full. Shut engine off. Crankcase full of coolant again. Replaced timing cover gasket. Same problem. Can't figure how the coolant is getting in the crankcase!!!!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Alex replied 10 months ago.

Hello, My name isXXXXX for using Just Answer.

Did you check the block head gasket surfaces for straightness or cracks?

Also, did you clean the front cover gasket surfaces completely and what method did you use to clean them?

Please let me know and I'll do my best to help you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes I checked the block for cracks and any uneven or surface that would create a leak. I used a pliable putty knife to remove used gasket material then a shop towel with chemtool for final clean. I did this for the heads, lower intake manifold and timing cover.
Expert:  Alex replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for that info.

I just need to ask, what method did you use to check the block head gasket surfaces for straightness?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Straight edge.
Expert:  Alex replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. It's possible the block is warped depending on how large of a feeler gauge you were able to fit under the straight edge at any given point.

I will need to opt-out and see if another expert can help you. Please hang tight for another expert to respond.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I’m Chris. Welcome and thanks for asking your question!

While running is there white smoke coming out of the exhaust?

With the cooling system full how much does it drop over what period of time?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No smoke. Engine runs quit good. No ruff idle or anything like that. I ran it after each repair thinking that would have fixed it. After replacing head gaskets and intake gaskets (valve job on the heads while they were at the machine shop) I ran it for approx 5-8 minutes. Never even had a chance to put the radiator cap on. Couldn't get the coolant level up. Stopped the engine and the dip stick showed approx 2-3 inches over full. Creamy color froth. Milkshake looking. Drained all fluids then attacked the timing chain cover. Finished that work and ran engine for same 5-8 minutes. Radiator cap never got installed because coolant level would not come up and stay there. Checked dipstick. Same milk shake. The coolant is almost pouring into crank case. Now I removed intake to check if gasket install went wrong. They look good. No issues there. Hate to take the heads off again but don't know where else to look. Intake does not have visible crack or hole. Rate of transfer is FAST.
Since there is no smoke when running this means the coolant leak is not above the pistons, so its not the heads, gaskets or intake. The block is cracked most likely in a water jacket at the base of the cylinder wall allowing coolant into the crankcase but none into the combustion chamber.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I understand a block cracking g from extreme cold Nd freezing. But this is Texas and August to boot. A block can crack from an overheat?

A block can crack from overheating, freezing, a weak spot in the cast, and injector that leaked and added to much fuel to a cylinder, a prior head leak ad coolant was in the combustion chamber while it was on the compression stroke.

Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.