EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

expedition: I took out my ignition key cylinder and the "key

I took out my ignition key cylinder and the "key warning chime connector" (I assume it is called this, its a wire with a crescent shaped plastic piece attached) fell out I did not see where it attaches, I have tried different positions but the key alarm still is going off as if I left the key in the ignition, I cannot find anything to show the placement / position of this?

Eric :

Hi. Does the little crescent piece have a tab that is coming off of it. Most of the time the tab breaks and thats why it falls out to begin with. It clips on the front side of the lock cylinder housing.

Eric :

The arrow points to where the piece slides onto the housing.

Eric :

Like I said, if the tab is gone it will not hold in position.

Customer:

it has the tab in tact

Eric :

Ok. Hopefully it will slide back on. It might be a little tricky to get it on without removing the trim

Customer:

is that the best graphic you have? I have put in this position and yet it still chimes, does it need to be in contact with special spot on ignition to work correctly?

Eric :

That is the best graphic. There is not much info on that piece. The piece should mate up with the plastic (maybe orange color) piece that is on the lock cylinder. Also, does it clip into position? The chime goes off when the metal piece on the crescent touches metal, such as the lock cylinder housing

Customer:

Ahh i see, i have been clipping it to the metal housing, so there should be a plastic only spot that it connects to, (i didnt see anything like this btw) it would have to make contact when the key is in and the little tab on ignition switch pushes outward correct?

Eric :

Yes that is correct. I think it actually just clips to the housing with the metal tab facing the lock cylinder.

Customer:

okay I will give er a shot! thanks! was driving me NUTZ !

Eric :

No problem. Let me know what happens...

Customer:

okay, may be awhile.. just leave this open while i do it? or can I respond later? (never did this b4)

Eric :

Just bookmark this page and come back to it when your ready. I may be going offline soon, but I will reply as soon as I come back on.

Customer:

okay

Customer:

well Eric... I guess i broke it when I installed it last time.. I just took it and tucked it under some plastic .. good news is no more chime anyway.. so in a way its fixed hah!

Customer:

Thanks for your help.. it was a week of research and finally an answer, should have asked you a week ago!