Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

ford f-250 superduty: what would cause engine to miss but show

what would cause engine to miss but show no code
Category: Ford
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using
justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your
concern today.

One thing I always wish to try and do is let you know if
something comes up and I am not able to reply back right away but this is
sometimes something I cannot avoid. I will always try to reply back to you
right away however please understand that I may be busy answering another
customer back and thus it may sometimes take time to reply back to you. As soon
as I return I will be sure to reply back to you as soon as I am able to.

Which engine do you have?

How have you checked to be sure there are no codes?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

v/10 6.8 ob11 code reader truck runs fine while sitting still but when i put it in gear and take off then it starts missing with no power really bad

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Randy,

Have you ran a key one engine off fuel pressure test and then another while running and during the problem?

Have you replaced the spark plugs and preformed a fuel tune up? plugs, wires if needed (tested), cap, rotor, fuel filter, etc.

Ok, that is just a simple code reader, not all of those will read history codes... does yours read history codes or only current codes?

Do you have access to a full auto scan tool?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

while at idle fuel pressure holds at 30lbs and when i race on engine it goes to 45lps. and no i do not have any other checkers. i did replace fuel pump 3wks ago truck ran great for about a wk and then it started to have same problem as before

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Randy,

KOEO pressure should be 35-45psi, koer - running 28-45psi.

Your koeo pressure is too low for one.

I also need to know if you preformed the tune up things as I asked, plugs, wires, cap, rotor fuel filter etc?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

have not replaced any thing else on engine. but when it first started it would not have problem till engine had load on it like going up hills but now it does it all the time .changed fuel pump ran much better for about wk then problem returned.also changed fuel filter.then i changed iat sensor and maf sensor with no improvement.

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Randy,

Did you use an oem ford pump, carquest/napa or a fuel pump from a place like autozone?

When is the last time you replaced all the tune up parts I asked about?

Have you checked if a coil is breaking down?

Have you identified which cylinder(s) are the effected cylinders and misfiring or random etc?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

missfire random done tuneup 45000 miles ago and fuel pump is onliest one i could find at time and it is airgas brand but i have orderd another one but has not come in yet and it is a carter.which i was told that they are the ones that is doing the ones for ford

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Randy,

I would run generally the same brand oe used, or a higher brand such as Delphi or bosch, I generally do not like the airtex pumps they usually do not last.

At this point I would say replace the spark plugs as one may have failed/be bad or if you did not use the motorcraft platinum plugs and you used normal cheap $1-$2 plugs then that is the problem... you should have platinum plugs in this motor oe number motorcraft AWSF-22E.

If not running correct plugs then replace and test again as needed.

If
you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.

Thanks,

Joe

Bonuses
are appreciated. If you feel you need to leave a 1-2 happy face/rating with
poor/bad please instead reply back to me via the reply to expert button. The
first two rating faces are negative feedback the next three after the first two
are positive and only for those 3 do I get a pos rating. If for any reason you
are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I
will be glad to help you. The deposit you placed when you opened the question
is only a deposit you can then click accept or one of the smile faces, but
again only if you are satisfied and only when you are ready to do so. The
rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason
please reply back and let me know.

Thanks
again for using justanswer / pearl.com and have a great day!

Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,