A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Mustang: My son was told he needs rack and pinion replaced

My son was told he needs rack and pinion replaced for a bad tie rod and a bushing starting to pop, isn't that excessive?

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

Was this a dealership that is telling you this or an independent shop?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

goodyear :-)

The rack and pinion on your Mustang is electronic, no more power steering fluid or power steering pump. There is a TSB out for lower control arm bushings where we replace the lower front control arms and install shields for the bushings. Below is the TSB.

CLICK HERE

I highly doubt the rack and pinion is bad. Even if they replace it, they will need to program it to the vehicle for it is a module within itself. The system is called PSCM (Power Steering Control Module). As for the inner tie rod ends, they are replaceable separate from the rack and pinion. I would have them perform the TSB first and reevaluate the front end noise.