ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck,worked on all makes and models
10832065

Ford 650: I have just replace an altinator on my Ford Tractor,

I have just replace an altinator on my Ford Tractor, the old one burned out when I turn the key on, now I am not getting fire to the starter. I turn the key on and it is like the battry is dead, but I had it checked and it had 75 per cent charge. What could be bad? I get no indication that the gages are working or anything.

Customer:

Glad to be of help. Check your fusible links at starter and alternator. Battery should be fully charged. A bad battery can cause an alternator to go bad. Have your battery checked and fully charged.

Customer:

Fusible links are located at starter solenoid on inner fender.

Customer:

check with a test light to see where power is lost from starter solenoid.

Customer:

A fusible link looks like a regular wire but melts internally.

Customer:

A 75% charge is not good enough. Battery should have at least 12.6 volts. A battery cannot be tested properly with less than 12.4 volts.

Customer:

Check and clean with sandpaper the inside battery terminal connections and posts.

Customer:

I'm switching to Q&A format to be notified of your response.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

got cut off trying to reply! I charged battery and pressed starter button and a loud clicking at the voltage reg (i think it is a voltage regulator? small cilender with two post for wires on top and started cable on side. Starter did not ignite or spin?

The small cylinder is your starter solenoid. The loud clicking indicates high resistance or low voltage, bad connection. This can be caused by bad or low charged battery, bad battery cable or connections or bad solenoid.

Thank you for your positive feedback. Thank you for using just answer.