Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

I am having charging issues with my 2001 sport trac. I have

I am having charging issues with my 2001 sport trac. I have changed the alternator, battery and instrument cluster. I have measured voltage at the 7.5 amp fuse and ohm out fuse as well. Green/red wire going to connector at alt measures 12 volts engine running unplugged and 1.7 volts plugged in. The yellow/white wire coming out measures 0 volts while engine running. Can't seem to trace down where this wire goes to ohm it out correctly. Not sure what else to do, system just won't charge. Please help.
Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you.
with the alternator unplugged, key on, does the yellow/white have 12 volts?

does the black /orange large wire have 12 volts?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yellow / white wire has 1.25 volts, Black / orange wire has 12 volts.
Key is on and alt is unplugged.
I thought I responded to your post early this am. Did I not?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes you did but I have been at work and could not respond or check voltage on truck
The thing is, I sent an answer to someone this am about this and the likely problem so,, I am a bit confused. Sorry
It was a duplicate post this am from another person from best I can tell
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did send my request this morning so that I might have a response by the time I got off work. Wasn't sure how quick I would get a response. Sorry.
did som eone else ask the same question on another post? This is what I saw and I sent and answer to them
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't see anything or any kind of a solution on my end. I'm new to this site so not sure how to view everything
give me a couple minutes. I will send what I sent this am. What I am saying is? the same vehcile, same problem came in right after your post from ANOTHER site user/email. This is what is confusing me. the odds of 2 eact same vehicles , same problem, same time is very rare so.. bear with me.. I will repull that otjer post
Ok, confused but things happen. sorry for the confusion
I sent THIS to the other post

Both the large wire and the yellow/white wire are power fed direct from the battery. BOTH are to have 12 volts or battery voltage
Your yellow wire is low volts
I suspect a fuse link is fialing or a connection
A fuse link is a short piece of wire , grey in color, designed to burn in 1/2 or internally if a problem happens
You have a couple choices
You can follow the yellow/white wire back through harness to the grey fuse link, change the fuse link with one from parts store
OR you can cut the yellow/white wire and run andother wire from the yellow wire to the battery POS side, at least for testing
I do not remember exactly where the fuse links are thus why you have to follow the yellow bachwards till you run into the grey fuse link, it is about 4: long, soft grey piece of wire
parts stores sell them. You cut old one out, splice new one in

Below is the diagram
look close at the YE/WH wire coming off alternator and how it goes to a fuse link, then basically to the battery
Do NOT continue to test the green wire, That wire is for the dash and you could short things out testing it. It is not the problem
the porblem is low volts on the yellow /white wire

Picture may not have gone through correct . Here it is

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I got it, it turned to be broken wire on the yellow / white wire. Fuse links were still in tack. I ran a new 14 gauge wire between plug and fuse link so to have them still effective. Dude I appreciate the help, that was awesome. I've been chasing this thing for a week now. Thanks so much.