Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

Taurus: Why does my 97 Ford Taurus does not blow heat after

Why does my 97 Ford Taurus does not blow heat after I flused out the heater core ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daryl replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your problem. Can you describe how you did the flush on this heater core?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I back flush it using air compressor, add water, back fush it more. Back and forth for alomost 2 hours. Noticed alot of rust and particles came out of it. At the end of the flush, both sides are coming out clear.

Expert:  Daryl replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me if the hoses are both getting hot? Also can you tell me if this year had that bypass setup that goes to the heater core?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After bring it of operating temperature. Both hoses (input, output) are hot. I did notice there are "Tees" connections on both sides of the hoses. Is this what you mean by "bypass setup" ?

Expert:  Daryl replied 1 year ago.
Yes that means this has a bypass system, so when you were doing the flush were you doing it right at the heater core or at the hoses that run up and connect to the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On the hose closer to the alternator, I took off the connection "before the tee" and connects a 5/8 radiator hose to it. On the battery side, I took off the connection and again fix a 5/8 radiator hose to it with a 5/8 connector.

Expert:  Daryl replied 1 year ago.
Ok with the bypass system you have to flush the heater core right at the heater core or you have to pinch off the bypass tube(there is a part of it that is a rubber hose). I do not recommend using air because you could blow the heater core out, I just pinch off (I use a hose pinching tool) the bypass and run a good strong water source through the heater core, I usually do this about 5 minutes in each direction 3 or 4 times each. I have found this needs to be done usually more then one time within a few weeks. Let me know if you have more questions on this I am always willing to help, Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will there be a leak on the passenger side if the heater core is blown? So I need to repeat this for several weeks ?

Expert:  Daryl replied 1 year ago.
Yes the heater core will leak on the floor on the passenger side if it leaks, and yes I have found this usually needs to be done 2 or 3 times and being sure the coolant in the rest of the system also helps.
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic