jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience

Thunderbird: I have a 2002 thunderbird that is overheating

I have a 2002 thunderbird that is overheating badly. So far we have changed 4 coils and plugs. Replaced the hydrolic fan unit. Thermostat. Water pump. Still heating up. Any suggestions on which way to go will be appreciated
Category: Ford
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 11 months ago.

hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you ..

if after all the things you replaced and the fan is working ,I would think the next thing to do is to do a block test .

this consists of a tube with a squeeze bulb on top .the tube is partially filled with a special blue colored chemical .

the motor should be a little warmed up and while its running and not overheating yet ,you place the tube over the fill hole and squeeze the bulb to draw in coolant fumes .

if the blue chemical turns a light brown/yellow or greenish color the you either have a bad head gasket and /or cracked head(s)

in either case the heads need to be removed and taken to a machine shop to be checked for cracks/warps

I would suspect cracks in the heads as this has been overheaded badly as you stated .

the block kit ,runs around $60 at most auto parts stores ,

you could get it tested at an auto repair shop and I would think that they may charge you an hours labor and the cost of the chemical although it should be a standard test and that should be an hours labor ...jazzmaster ...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sorry I forgot to mention my mechanic did run a block test it was negative.

how long from start up does it take for the car to overheat ?

does the fan come on like it should ?

does it run cooler going down the road ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Pegs the heat gauge in less than a quarter mile,

Fan does come on as it should

Haven't drivin it once it gets hot in fear of warping the heads

We also tried removing the thermostat to see if it helped with circulation

My mechanic is just guessing that it might be the radiator but is not sure

have you actually seen this overheat ?that is boiling ?

in time wise-how many minutes from start up does the needle jump up or it starts to show tha it is overheating >

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes I have. Within 3 to 4 minutes. Also have doubled checked the temperature. Its running around 250 to 255 degrees. The reservoir shows heavy bubbling. Acts like there is no circulation.

to me this looks like a cracked head or gasket for it to overheat that bad and quick ,even if you took out all the coolant and ran the motor it still wouldnt overheat that quickly ,so that is why I am thinking head or head gasket .

in any case the heads will need to be sent to a machine shop to be checked ..have you tried to pressure test the cooling system to see if it holds pressure and have you checked the oil level as well ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Can't do anything till monday. My mechanic is taking the weekend off. I can't blame him. If I release your money will I still have contact with you? or does it terminate this session?

yes, you can .just save this post ..

if in any case you lose this post ,just ask for jazzmaster ...jazz..

jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience: ase certified--32 yrs experience