Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

Freestyle: My Ford freestyle has an A/C problem. When I turn

My Ford freestyle has an A/C problem. When I turn system on I hear the compressor engage but it's not cycling. The air is not very cold and warms up when the car is parked with engine running.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your problem. Can you tell me how big of a can you added? In ounces?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To be honest, the can was not a full one. It started off as a 20oz can and was used once before.There is still some left in the can.

So I don't know how much went in.

There is a gauge mounted on the can and when I connected it to the valve on the car the needle went straight to red even though I had the a/c running both front and rear air in the cabin.

The can was an A/C Pro product/.

Ok with front and rear AC this system will hold 38 oz so it is just low still, I would get as much of the refrigerant from that can in as you can and add maybe another 1/2 can and see what you have. Reading the pressures on these kits can be difficult because the pressures can vary a lot if the system us really low but if adding a little helped some I am sure it is just still low. Let me know if you have more questions on this I am always willing to help, Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did send another question about my a/c system but got no reply. I was wondering if the compressor could be a problem.

Even though I added the gas and the air did cool, I am worried about adding more gas since I am not experienced and don't want to overfill the system.

If you think adding more gas is the answer I will do so as you are the only tech I have asked.

I just need to be sure I am doing the right thing.

This is not likely a compressor problem if it did get cooler whgen you added more refrigerant, its most likely just low on charge and when it gets enough in it the system will get cooler. If you are worried about this I would add a little at a time and see if it continues to get cooler, just try to keep track of how much you have added and do not go over the max the system holds.