Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000

Ford f 150 fx4: where is the camshaft sensor located on a

where is the camshaft sensor located on a 2004 f 150 5.4 l,and is it a big job to change
Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

The cam sensors are not hard to replace. one screw holds them into the cylinder head.

Here is a diagram. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I have to remove the alternator?

The installation instructions show nothing about removing the alternator. Its pretty direction and just says,

1. Remove battery cable, remove air filter if replacing left side

2. Disconnect sensors, Left and Right

3. Remove CMP sensor, reinstall reverse order, tighten bolt to 89 lb-in (inches, not foot)

If removing the alternator does make the job easier for you, the labor times for removing the alternator are .08 tenths of an hour, So it's not a big job to remove the alternator either way.