A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

Ford F250 4x4: I have a 2000 f250 4x4 and the cruise quit working.

I have a 2000 f250 4x4 and the cruise quit working. The brake lights work and the clutch switch is working to start the truck. Both fuses in the fuse panel are good. The truck has a manual transmission and the speedometer works

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

Do the self test for the speed control below. You do not need any special tools to do it. Do the self test and let me know what the outcome is.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I held down the off switch and turned on the ignition and nothing happens

Ok. I doubt it is a vacuum problem.

Check fuses #13 and #28 in the dash fuse box. Make sure they have power when the key is turned on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes fuse 13 and 28 have power going through them with the key on

Do you have a digital multimeter? I can post a pin point test you can follow for the speed control system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I have one

Ok, below is the pin point test to follow. It is right from the factory shop manual.

It is a little long, but if you need some help, please ask. It will lead you to what is causing the speed control to be inoperative.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This truck has a 7.3L electronic control. I only see the potentiometer for throttle control. No cable

Sorry about that. The diesel engines are PCM (Engine Computer) controlled.

Check and see if the horn works from the steering wheel, if not check fuse #14 in the engine bay fuse box. If the horn does work, we will need to check the clock spring in the steering column.

We do this by setting the meter to OHMS and with the key off, check the resistance between the GRAY/RED striped wire and the LIGHT BLUE/BLACK striped wire just under the dash on the right side of the steering column. It will be a gray connector. The connector should have 6 wires in it.

Back probe the wires and press the OFF switch, the meter should read 2200 OHMS.

Then set the meter to volts and probe the LIGHT BLUE/BLACK striped wire and press the ON switch with the key turned on, you should get voltage.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

With the key on I have 6.5 volts on the light blue/black wire.Press the on button and I get 13.0 voltsI get 2500 OHM when pressing the off button.

Disconnect that connector and check the LIGHT BLUE/BLACK striped wire for power on both connector ends.

You should not have power on that wire till the ON button is pressed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

With the connector disconnected and key on I have 6.5 volts on the harness side.

Ok, one other step. We need to disconnect the PCM (Engine Computer) and see if the voltage is still there. If the voltage is there still, there is a short to power in the harness. If the voltage goes away, the problem is the PCM.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I will check that out