Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

2005 fairmont BA throttle problems

I have a 2005 fairmont BA which was reving unevenly when I was stationery and then when I was in drive basically driving itself without my foot on the accelerator. It then lost power and I had to quickly find a place to pull over and stop the car. The throttle light was on. After I turned the car on and off it was OK. No light and no problems. I am concerned because we live in a regional area and my son and I drive the car on the highway every day and the loss of power was worrying. What should I tell the mechanic?

First they will want to connect to a scan tool to access the car computer to find the diagnostic codes. Have them check the throttle linkage and the TPS (throttle position sensor). Also have them check for any vacuum leaks that will affect the idle reving.

These are the first things we would do if it were in our shop and it costs about 1 hour labor to diagnose.

Please remember to rate my assistance today and just let me know if you have any further questions. If not, thanks for asking!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it only a ford dealer that has this scan tool or would most mechanics have this? I live in a rural area and dont have access to a wide choice of places to go but can access a ford mechanic around 65kms away.

Yes, most independent shops have the scan tool. Best to call ahead though.

Best wishes!