A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Ford Mustabg: 2006 Ford Mustang, base, 4.0L. After minor accident

2006 Ford Mustang, base, 4.0L. After minor accident with R/F impact, no power for anything that gets power with "key on". Headlights, tail lights, interior lights, horn, door locks all work. Insturment cluster is blank, nothing when turn key to start, only thing in cluster is slow flashing security light.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

Was there any impact behind the right front wheel where the door hinges are?

Where basically was the impact? Right front bumper, right front wheel..........?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, the r/f wheel was pushed back into the body, and there is a slight dent close to the bottom, where the pass floor board is. The fuse block is right behind that area.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

That fuse block is actually called a SJB (Smart Junction Box), It is actually a module. If the floor board is dented, the SJB could have been jarred and damaged.

The best way to find out is to have the SJB and all the other modules in the vehicle tested for codes and also have the communication network tested in the vehicle to see if the SJB is communicating with the other modules. The SJB actually controls power to all the systems inside the vehicle.

I would have the vehicle systems tested before replacing any parts for this problem. Even the radio is a module that communicates of a network inside your vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Everything worked and the car ran. This happened after sitting for a month and working on the body and suspension repairs.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Was any welding done?
What work was done, what parts did you remove/repair or replace?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No welding. All cosmetic and suspension, except for the r/f headlight bucket that needed to pulled, hammered and straightened. The car was driven onto the lift where it sat until we started putting together last Sunday.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Check all the grounds around the battery and the right front inner fender well area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We've have done that, but didn't see any grounds where we dis-assembled the car. Are here any grounds at the r/f fender/bumper area that we might have missed?

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

There are a couple near the right front headlight.

It just seams odd that the vehicle ran until the repairs were made and now you have a no starting issue.

Check fuse #68 in the engine bay fuse box and also check the battery cable connection at the fuse box under the hood.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I agree that it's odd, that's why we don't understand it. I've already checked the grounds at the headlight, on the radiator support. Already checked the fuses, but will check again, along with the #68 fuse and the battery cable connections.tomorrow. Can I get back to you tomorrow during the day. (8:00AM-6:00PM EST)?

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Just reply back on this page. I'll get an email and I'll reply back as soon as I can. It all depends on how busy the dealership is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Found water corrossion on interior fuse block from a water leak. Fuse #19,20,21 dont have power.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Fuses #20 and #21 gets power from the ignition switch. Check for power on the DARK GREEN wire at the ignition switch with the key on. If you have power on that wire and no power on the fuses, you may have a bad SJB (Smart Junction Box) or better known as the dash fuse box.

Fuse #19 shares power with fuses #12/#14/#16/#17 and #18. Check for power on those fuses. If you have power on those fuses but not #19, replace the SJB and fix the water leak. But if you do not have power on any of those fuses, check the WHITE/TELLOW striped wire at the ignition switch for power with the key turned on. You could have a bad ignition switch.

The SJB will need to be programed to the vehicle for the vehicle to start and work. The SJB is a module and the best place to have the programing done is at the dealership. They have the proper computer to do the programing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Checked and found no power going to the ignition switch.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The ignition switch gets power from fuse #68 in the engine fuse box and if that fuse is good and has power, check for power on the LIGHT GREEN/VIOLET striped wire at the ignition switch.

Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance