A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

NAVIGATOR: I have an 07 Lincoln nav that is experiencing check

Customer Question

I have an 07 Lincoln nav that is experiencing check suspension dash display. I tow a trailer with it and have been noticing that the pump either takes longer to level out. Also sometimes it seems like it takes longer for the sensor to activate the compressor. I am thinking that I have a compressor that is on its last legs. I can hear it click on and it will run for maybe 20 to 30 seconds when you 1st start it when it hasn't been started for a while. It will put put put faster @ 1st then
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

When the compressor is running, you should almost not hear it. If it is making noise when it is running, it is on its last leg. It basically is a one cylinder engine. I have seen the piston rods break, and also the small crankshaft snap. But with your description, it is on its way out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The problem I have is that I may not have the time to get this fixed as I have to leave for a road trip with my trailer for business out of state by end of day tomorrow. I am hoping my dealer can get the part in time if that is what it is but they don't stock the part. I go in @ 7:30 am tomorrow. I know you wouldn't recommend it but is it possible to disconnect the union and blow air with a compressor to inflate the rear bags then turn the air suspension off? Once I get to where I am going I can locate a dealer and have them actually fix it?

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

That will not work. You will need a scan tool to open the vent solenoids on both bags to allow the air to enter them. They stay closed till the air ride module tells them to open electrically.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are answering my questions very well. I have used this service a few time and it has been very informative:) So if a tech has this scan tool they could open the vent solenoids and pump air into the bags if they are willing to do it? Does it sound doable? I will have it fixed tomorrow if they can get the part in time but I am afraid it will take to long to fix it correctly tomorrow. Once I get to my destination I can give the dealer 2 full days to service and I will give them a call tomorrow to let them know to order the part. This should be my last question. Thanks so much, Andy

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Your compressor is not that hard to replace. It should only take about 1 hour to fix it. But like you stated, if they can get the part in time.

You can see if they can set the air suspension up to stay filled. But that all depends on what they actually find wrong after testing the complete system out.

Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok great answer. I am going to give you an excellent review. Thanks, Andy.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Thank you and have a safe trip.