Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Super Duty Diesel 6.4: I have a 2008 Super Duty with the 6.4

I have a 2008 Super Duty with the 6.4 liter Diesel. 35k miles. The truck blows a prolific amount of blue smoke out back after about 10 minutes of driving. It cycles through the exhaust clean about every hour of driving. The smoking stops after a while but while it is smoking it is while driving or idling and it is a HUGE amount of smoke. What to do? Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX is usually caused by a bad injector, putting too much fuel into the cylinde, but with this mileage, it should be under warranty, have tou had the injectors checked yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They did not check injectors only drivability diagnosis and compression test which it passed. Paperwork says it could be injectors or the DPF delete

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
do you have a DPF delete kit on this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I bought it that way from Florida-I would prefer that it didn't have one. I think it messes up the 3 sensors on the exhaust. What do you think?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
if it has a DPF delete kit on it, it should not cycle thr DPF at all, and the DPF should have been removed, what makes you think there is a delete kit on this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Honestly, I don't really know other than the fact that it says it on my last service record from Kent Parson's Ford in WV. I do have a Super Chip on it that I personally plugged into the port under the steering wheel. The Truck smokes whether it is plugged in or not. How would I really know if it is has been DPF deleted or not

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

when we do a DPF delete, we physically remove the DPF filter and fit a new exhaust,, then we use a tuner to turn off the DPF in the computer, it sounds like you just have the tuner and not the DPF delete, and i doubt this is causing the problem, but you might want to remove the superchip tuner and put the original tune back on this and see if the problem is still there, if it is, then suspect a bad injector,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL