autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, Auto Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech W/Advanced Engine Performance, Ford Senior Master Certification
157591

Ford f 150: I have a 97 ford f150 V 8 4.6. Im having troubles

I have a 97 ford f150 V 8 4.6. I'm having troubles with it over heating. I pulled the T stat out, still over heats. I replaced the water pump, still over heats. at low rpm (1500) the engin cools down. at rpms 2000 and above the egin over heats. I am running with out a t-stat in it and straight water no antifreeze. I'm lost as to what the problem is.
Category: Ford
Expert:  autodoc_2000 replied 1 year ago.

autodoc_2000 :

When it is doing this check the upper radiator hose and see if it is very hard. If it is you may have a blown head gasket and combustion gases going into the cooling system. Along with combustion gases comes compression which will cause the hoses to get hard. A blown head gasket will also cause the gauge to show overheating. There is also a chemical test that can be done that will check to see if there are any combustion gases in the cooling system. Let me know.

Customer:

yes it is very hard. what is the average cost to replace the head gasket? How would I figure out wich side is blown? or should I just do both sides? how long can I drive it before major damage? I am a plumber and own my business this is my only truck. I'm out of service.

Customer:

ok I got no reply back. So I'm rate this as bad service

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
How many miles does this vehicle have. Another thought to a blown head gasket is the water pump. If the coolant wasn't change every 30k in this vehicle the coolant will start to eat away the water pump fins since they are metal. Over time they will begin to thin out and as they thin out they stop being able to move as much water. If you take off the belt it is fairly simple to remove the water pump for inspection. Another thing is stop leak was ever put into the system this can plug up the water pump fins so they are unable to move any water.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

repalced the water pump today. still same over heating

I am sorry for not getting back sooner. I see another expert tried to help, but they did not see in your original post that you replaced the water pump already. It is almost impossible to know which cylinder head gasket is leaking. Usually i recommend replacing both since you need to remove the top pieces of the engine just to do one. The cost varies alot depending on the shops hourly rate and parts needed. My guess would be $1500-$2000. It will not take long before the hoses, radiator or heater core blows because of the excess pressure.
autodoc_2000, Auto Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech W/Advanced Engine Performance, Ford Senior Master Certification