Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford Lincoln Town Car: 1998 Lincoln town car. The front driver

Customer Question

1998 Lincoln town car. The front driver side window will go down but will only come up about half way and appears to bind and gets crooked. I can pull it back straight a couple of times while moving it back up until it closes completely. Is it off its track or what?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

The problem you are describing is in most cases caused by a broken window regulator, the regulator on your 1998 Lincoln are cable driven and they are know to break away from the regulator. The correct repair is going to be to remove the regulator assembly and replace it. I have enclosed the door panel removal steps HERE and the regulator steps HERE and door glass removal HERE.

If you have more questions and or need more information, please let me know.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your directions were clear and i followed them to remove the door panel, If it is the regulator, i am unable to do the repair myself because i don't have the proper tools. It appeared to me that the cables were working correctly in both the up and down movement. but as i said about half way back up the window would bind up and then get cocked and wedged in the track and then stop. I can clasp the window on both sides and straighten it and then raise it a little and then repeat and raise it a little until it is completely closed. So, i'm unclear weather or not it is the regulator.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The problem is the cable do not break but instead the guide that hold then to the regulator break and they can not be reconnected with out replacing the regulator assembly. When this happens it does cause the window to be off track and not roll up and or down as it should. I'm 99% sure it is the regulator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand now.

Thanks, Mike

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Your very welcome Kike and thank you as well.