Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Ford Escape XLT: Have a 2010 Escape with 40,000 miles gently

Have a 2010 Escape with 40,000 miles gently driven. on highway doing 60 mph, complete loss of throttle response. However, engine continued to idle, wrench light illuminated. shut vehicle down then restarted after a minute. light shut off and vehicle ran normally. any ideas?
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

The problem you are describing in most cases can be caused by two concerns, the first on is sludge build up in the throttle body and in some cases a failing throttle body, your Escapes has an electronic fly by wire throttle body and the PCM (computer) controls the operation of the throttle plate. The place to start to resolve this concern is first off, remove the negative battery cable and take some carb cleaner and remove the throttle body and clean it up real well inside and out , once you have done so, reinstall it , connect the battery and let it idle for about 10 minutes,

In most cases if you had sludge in the TB, this will resolve the problem with having to replace the TB. See the removal steps HERE.

Let me know if you have more questions and or need more information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Ron. This looks pretty straight forward. I'll give it a go.

Give it a shot Bob, in most cases it resolves the problem, be sure to disconnect the negative battery cable before you do the removal. This will allow the PCM to relearn the throttle settings.

Thank you as well.