Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

i have a 1997 ford f150 4x4 with a 4.6l engine, the code is

i have a 1997 ford f150 4x4 with a 4.6l engine, the code is w. i have a no start condition. the fuel pump is not coming on. i dont find any blowed fuses. i checked the inertia switch and found no power going to that switch, what do i need to check for?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Power to the fuel pump comes from the fuel pump relay and the relay has one fuse you need to check first to make sure its not blown, the fuse is the #19 fuse located in the under hood fuse panel along with the fuel pump relay. Let start with making sure the fuse is okay and if so then we can go from there with checking the relay. See the wiring diagram HERE for reference. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i take it #19 is a 20amp maxi fuse. it is good.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Okay then Jeff, pull the relay out and with the key on take your 12 volt rest light or volt meter and see if you have key on power on Pins #86 and pin #30 in the relay connector. To know which is what pin look at the bottom of the relay , the pin numbers are on the bottom of it. See the relay location HERE
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do have power at pin #86 and #30

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Okay Jeff the fuel pump relay is energized by the PCM (computer) grounding pin #85, see if the relay is being grounded on pin #85, also see if the relay is clicking when the key is turned on, if not make sure its getting the ground from the PCM while cranking and if you have power and ground and the pump still doesn't turn on then the Relay is bad, if you are not getting the ground then the PCM is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, i can feel the relay click when turning the key on .with the key on should there be constant power goin to 1 of the 3 wires at the inertia switch . i did get power to 1 wire at the switch when turning the ign on and it went off as the relay clicked off.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
No, there will be power at the inertia for a few second and then you have to crank the engine to get it to have constant power, recheck the power at the switch while cranking, if you then have it as you should then you most likely have a failed fuel pump.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician