Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

Ford F150 Lariat 4x4: Hello, I have a 2006 F150 lariat with

Hello, I have a 2006 F150 lariat with high miles. Once every so often the transmission would shift back and forth from second to third gear while getting up to highway speeds. Now all of the sudden the O/D light is flashing and transmission malfunction pops up on the dash readout. From a stop I hear a shudder and the the drivetrain vibrates for a couple seconds upon accelleration. Then it appears to not want to get out of first gear. When the gas is applied the transmission appears to be slipping and the RPM's will climb high. If I let off the gas pedal after high rpm's and just feather the pedal back and forth the tranny will shift into 2nd gear and will act normal from that point on. Then it starts all over again at a full stop.
You will need to have the truck scanned for codes, that will point to what the control module is seeing fail. It does sound like your forward clutch pack is slipping though and that will likely require a rebuild.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have you ever heard of a fuse under the hood being a culprit for the same type symptoms related to the tranny?
There is always the possibility of an electric problem causing it since the trans is shifted electronically, that is why I stress it should be scanned. But no, there should not be a single fuse causing what you describe. If the trans loses all electronic control it might not shift, but it will lock into gear and not slip as you describe. I am not totally ruling out an electronic problem, but it is not very likely.