Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000

ford ranger 2w 4cyl: running down road engine shuts off manual

running down road engine shuts off manual tranny push clutch in reset ignition key drop clutch runs like nothin happended
Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help. Let me first ask, Is the check engine light on now when driving? Also, Does it sputter like it's running out of gas, or just driving along fine and then cuts off? I'm wondering if the fuel pressure is dropping when this happens. How often does it happen? everytime you drive it? Thanks, Trying to narrow it down on my end.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i changed (sorry i didnt tell you) fuel pump about at the most it has 10,000 miles

OK, Does it seem like it runs out of gas though, you hit the pedal and it just bogs? What about the fuel pump relay? Does it always crank right back up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

all i have to is push clutch pull back ignition and flip to on release clutch starts right back up sometimes a little back fire so its telling me its electrical not fuel

OK, give me just a second. Looking over some things.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what can the computer do can it tell you its bad (im getting as much i can out of my 30.00 thati can ) and still will pay when you stump me

I bleieve it is either 1 of 3 things, It's difficult as it starts right back up, If it didn't start right back up, and we could get a fuel pressure gauge and a spark tester on it, it would be easy to fix, however, with this starting right back up. It's a little trickier. I'm going to say first to replace the PCM relay (PCM Powertrain Control Module or engine computer).

You said there was no check engine light on while driving currently right?
The computer does have self diagnostic capabilities, however, if the check engine light isn't on, then it's most likely not going to have a code and hence not point you in any direction as to the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well i kind of thought it was the computer but didnt know the check engine comes on but when i (today i put the power packs on)then it went off but with your information i figure give a few days a few other it probably (engine light will come on) and ill be here again so what do you think i should do new computer?

One thing to check is this Mike, Everytime you cut the Key ON, The check engine light should come ON with KEY On Engine OFF. If the Check Engine Light does NOT come on with Key ON Engine OFF, then the PCM relay or the PCM itself could be at fault.

In your power distribution box under the hood, The PCM relay is located in this spot, I would go ahead and replace it as they are pretty cheap.

IF, it will ever get into a state where it doesn't start, I would get a spark tester on a spark plug wire, and a fuel pressure gauge on it, so then you can narrow down, whether it's losing spark or fuel. Then it will be much easier to fix. Right now with it just cutting off and firing right back up, it could be a number of things, but I'm giving you the most common.

It could also be a fuel pump relay, cutting power to the pump and in turn losing fuel pressure. It might not be a bad idea if it's doing it frequently, to get a fuel pressure gauge, tape it to the windshield and go for a ride. When it acts up, look at your fuel pressure gauge, should have 35-40 psi. If it starts dropping when your problem acts up, then you know it's fuel pump/filter/relay circuit related. If it's losing spark, I would say it's a crank sensor, or Ignition Control Moduel.

Here is a diagram of your power distribution box. If you want to put a couple of relays in it now, (fuel pump and PCM relay) That wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and rule those things out. I can't rule out it being the PCM itself either, but that isn't my first thought with this problem.